Why Your Apartment Electric Bill May Be High
Why the Electric Bill of an Apartment Condo or Flat May be High: How to Track Your Energy Usage, My apartment was using a lot of energy every day and I felt I was being charged for my neighbors electricity.
Causes of High Electrical Usage for Apartment Renters
Electrical Question: My apartment was using 33kwh of energy a day and I felt I was being charged for my neighbors electricity.
- I’m having some issues with a circuit breaker at my apartment home.
- I had a breaker in my panel box that went to a neighbor’s house.
- My apartment was using 33kwh of energy a day, which I knew was high, so I unplugged every household item I have except the fridge and stove and watched the numbers climb even when I didn’t use any electricity.
- Someone came out and re-routed that circuit breaker wiring back to my neighbors who also has a small apartment, and I felt I was being charged for their electricity.
- My neighbors electric meter numbers went even higher than mine and it says they are using over 50 kwh per day.
What could the problem be?
This electrical question came from: Michelle, a Handy-Woman from Sacramento, California.
Thanks for your electrical question Michelle.
Why the Electric Bill of an Apartment Condo or Flat May be High
There are many factors that may cause excessive energy consumption, especially when the weather changes and air conditioners are used frequently.
How to Track Your Energy Usage
Tracking energy usage starts with a simple list of what we use on a daily basis, and identifying our circuit breakers to see what they provide power to.
High Energy Consuming Devices and Appliances
- A high electrical usage rate may be due to several items. It would be necessary to list all the electrical devices that you normally use to see how much electricity these devices consume.
- Consideration must be given to the number of hours these items are actually used each day. This will help you see the rate of your electrical consumption.
Consult the Property Owner or Manager
- If you feel that the calculated electrical consumption does not appear to justify the amount on your electrical utility bill, then the apartment manager should be notified.
- There may be a remote possibility that circuits from one apartment unit are being shared with the other apartment.
- This could be determined by identifying the electrical circuits with each apartment panel. Consult the property owner or manager for more information.
Electrical Utility Provider
- Contact your local utility company or visiting their website may provide additional assistance, and they may send a representative out to conduct an energy usage report.
- Many electric utility companies will perform an energy survey and provide devices to help reduce your home energy consumption.
- Plug in Energy Monitors are very helpful to see how much energy is being consumed by a device.
- The monitor can be plugged in to record the power consumption for a period of time, and then moved to another device and repeat the recording process.
More about How to Save on Your Electric Bill
Home Energy Savings
- Methods that show how to start saving energy right away for very little investment compared to the savings you will realize.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Understanding Digital Volt Meters
- When working on home electrical wiring using voltage meter can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers and voltage meters enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
- Types of Electrical Testers
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« How to Wire a Hot Tub||Recessed Light Conversion Kit and Task Lighting »|