Why Your Apartment Electric Bill May Be High
Why the Electric Bill of an Apartment Condo or Flat May be High: How to Track Your Energy Usage, My apartment was using a lot of energy every day and I felt I was being charged for my neighbors electricity.
Causes of High Electrical Usage for Apartment Renters
Electrical Question: My apartment was using 33kwh of energy a day and I felt I was being charged for my neighbors electricity.
- I’m having some issues with a circuit breaker at my apartment home.
- I had a breaker in my panel box that went to a neighbor’s house.
- My apartment was using 33kwh of energy a day, which I knew was high, so I unplugged every household item I have except the fridge and stove and watched the numbers climb even when I didn’t use any electricity.
- Someone came out and re-routed that circuit breaker wiring back to my neighbors who also has a small apartment, and I felt I was being charged for their electricity.
- My neighbors electric meter numbers went even higher than mine and it says they are using over 50 kwh per day.
What could the problem be?
This electrical question came from: Michelle, a Handy-Woman from Sacramento, California.
Thanks for your electrical question Michelle.
Why the Electric Bill of an Apartment Condo or Flat May be High
There are many factors that may cause excessive energy consumption, especially when the weather changes and air conditioners are used frequently.
How to Track Your Energy Usage
Tracking energy usage starts with a simple list of what we use on a daily basis, and identifying our circuit breakers to see what they provide power to.
High Energy Consuming Devices and Appliances
- A high electrical usage rate may be due to several items. It would be necessary to list all the electrical devices that you normally use to see how much electricity these devices consume.
- Consideration must be given to the number of hours these items are actually used each day. This will help you see the rate of your electrical consumption.
Consult the Property Owner or Manager
- If you feel that the calculated electrical consumption does not appear to justify the amount on your electrical utility bill, then the apartment manager should be notified.
- There may be a remote possibility that circuits from one apartment unit are being shared with the other apartment.
- This could be determined by identifying the electrical circuits with each apartment panel. Consult the property owner or manager for more information.
Electrical Utility Provider
- Contact your local utility company or visiting their website may provide additional assistance, and they may send a representative out to conduct an energy usage report.
- Many electric utility companies will perform an energy survey and provide devices to help reduce your home energy consumption.
- Plug in Energy Monitors are very helpful to see how much energy is being consumed by a device.
- The monitor can be plugged in to record the power consumption for a period of time, and then moved to another device and repeat the recording process.
More about How to Save on Your Electric Bill
Home Energy Savings
- Methods that show how to start saving energy right away for very little investment compared to the savings you will realize.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Understanding Digital Volt Meters
- When working on home electrical wiring using voltage meter can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers and voltage meters enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
- Types of Electrical Testers
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Energy Savings and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Wire a Hot Tub||Recessed Light Conversion Kit and Task Lighting|