Why Track Lights May Stop Working
How to Know What Causes Lights to Not Work – Installing high watt lamps that are not specified for the track light head. Each light head or compatible light fixture attached to the track light has a bulb size, type and watt limitation
Identifying Track Light Problems
Electrical Question: I installed track lighting in the kitchen just over a year ago.
- Just recently all the lights started to flicker and now after you turn it on all lights on the track cut off in about two minutes.
- I turn the switch off and then back on and the lights come on again.
- What could be the problem?
Additional Comments: Love the site! Thank you for your help!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Travis.
Background: Travis, a Homeowner from Fort Mill, SC
How to Know What Causes Lights to Not Work
- Here is a list of things that may prevent track lights from working:
- Installing high watt lamps that are not specified for the track light head. Each light head or compatible light fixture attached to the track light has a bulb size, type and watt limitation. Installing higher watt bulbs is not recommended.
- The live end connection. Some track lights have a power connection at one end which is called the Live End. The wire connections to this area are intricate. The connection of the live end to the track light as it slides into the track must be installed correctly for best performance.
- Connection points and wiring. Any connection point could be a potential problem if the installation is not sound. Check these connection points and any wire connectors.
- Light switch or dimmer switch. Standard light switches can fail and need replacing, however dimmer switches must be compatible with the type and total watts being controlled otherwise the dimmer will have a short life, the bulbs will burn out prematurely, or the dimmer will not function at all.
The Following will assist you with Track Lighting
- Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Lighting For The Home
- Lighting Electrical Codes
- Light Switch Wiring
- Wiring Diagrams
- 3 Way Switch Diagram
- Home Lighting
- Home Lighting Articles
- Home Lighting Articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
- Kitchen Lights
- Kitchen Electrical Wiring Requirements
- This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic kitchen electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects.For more information about Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
- This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Track Lights and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|GFCI Wiring for Bathrooms||Home Generator Automatic Transfer Switch Design|