» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
Why A Bathroom Light May Not Be Working
Why are my Bathroom Lights Not Working? Some bathroom GFI outlets may provide power to the bathroom light fixture. the bathroom GFI outlet should be checked to see if it has tripped off.
Troubleshooting a Bathroom Light Circuit
[ad#block]Electrical Question: Why are my Bathroom Lights Not Working?
Kimberly in Ohio asks:
- I flipped on the light switch to the bathroom and the light went out. I realized the light bulbs did not blow the 5 light fixture.
The switch is an old mercury switch and was not lit. But the wall plug is also out.
- The Night light and small clock plugged in are not on and no circuit breakers were tripped off. I even shut off and back on breakers to verify.
- No other lights, plugs, appliances in house affected, only the bathroom light switch and the wall plug. (1960 house, no GFI switch)
Bret in Nevada asks:
- I lost power to the bathroom lights and fans. I was replacing a light in one bathroom.
- Now three bathrooms are not working. All the circuit breakers are in the ON position. There is no label to the specific bathroom circuit.
- No GFI outlets in bathrooms appear to be tripped. All power outlets are working in all bathrooms. I have voltage at all circuit breakers. Now I am confused.
Thanks for your electrical wiring questions.
How to Reset a Bathroom GFCI Outlet
- From what has been described in these questions, I would look for a tripped GFI outlet in the bathroom or another bathroom in the house, this is most likely why the bathroom light is not working.
- Some bathroom GFI outlets may provide power to the bathroom light fixture so the bathroom GFI outlet should be checked to see if it has tripped off.
- Simply press the TEST button, then press the RESET button.
More about Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Wiring Diagram GFI
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
Home Circuit Breakers
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
How to Install Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about Home Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
This link is helpful as a Handyman
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Bathroom Light and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring Connections for an Electric Water Heater||How To Control Litter Box Odors Automatically|