What To Do If Electrical Wiring Is Damaged
What should I do about Damaged Electrical Wiring in my Home? Repairing Damaged Electrical Wiring, Electrical Troubleshooting and Repairing a Damaged Electric Circuit.
Damaged Electrical Wiring Could Cause a Fire
Electrical Question: What should I do about Damaged Electrical Wiring in my Home?
- I’m concerned about potential damage that can be caused to electrical wiring within walls. There may be damage to electrical wiring due to a person firing a weapon into a bedroom trailer wall when he was trying to kill a snake.
- Can this pose a threat in the future or at this time to the family? We do not know the location of any wiring, etc.
- I was told by my father that it could potentially lead to a fire down the road.
This electrical wiring question came from: Charlene, a Homeowner from Decatur, Tennessee.
Additional Comments: Great site! Thanks.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Charlene.
Repairing Damaged Electrical Wiring
Application: Electrical Troubleshooting and Repairing a Damaged Electric Circuit.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter and a Circuit Tracer.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and age of the home, the condition of the electric wiring, and the access to the circuits and wiring to be evaluated.
Precaution: Identify the affected circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections or electrical repairs. Electrical troubleshooting and repairs requires specific tests of the electrical circuits. Working in an electric panel is dangerous due to arc flash hazards and the possibility of electric shock.
Notice: Repairs to Home Electrical Wiring should be made according to local and national electrical codes. Installing new or replacement electrical wiring may require a permit and inspections.
Electrical Tip for Damaged Electrical Wiring
If you suspect that you have damaged electrical wiring, it is always best to have a qualified electrical contractor make an assessment, perform inspections and tests, then make any necessary repairs as required.
- Charlene, I’m going to side with your father and say that it would be smart to consider gaining access to the damaged area and make an inspection.
- Damaged electrical wiring can in some cases lead to and electrical fire, but in all cases, if electrical wiring has been damaged, then it should be repaired right away and the circuit should be turned off until and inspection or repairs can be performed just to be on the safe side.
- An inspection can be made from creating an access from the inside or outside, making access from the inside may be much easier to work with and may also enable you to make any other repairs as well.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
RV Electrical Wiring Topics
- Electrician Answers Questions about Mobile Home electrical circuit, RV main breaker trips and wiring RV outlets.
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Ask-The-Electrician – Home Electrical Wiring
- Ask-The-Electrician – Learn about all phases of Home Electrical Wiring from a Licensed Electrical Contractor who explains on-the-job photo tutorials and wiring diagrams.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repairs and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|What To Do When Surge Protectors Do Not Work||Wiring For A Light Switch and Outlet|