Using Correct Light Bulbs for Your Light Fixture
I changed a Light Bulb and now we Smell Burning Plastic, What Should We Do? Replacement Light Bulbs for Light Fixtures.
Light Fixture Smell
[ad#block]Electrical Question: Jamie asks: I changed a light bulb and now we Smell Burning Plastic, what should we do?
- A few days ago I noticed a light bulb burnt out in a pendant light over my kitchen island.
- I went to change it and the bulb was broken in the fixture.
- So we got it out and replaced the bulb.
- Then we noticed a burning plastic smell, so I changed the bulb but it still smells.
- What should I do, Change the pendant out?
This electrical repair question came from: Jamie in Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jamie.
Guidelines for Replacement Light Bulbs
Application: Light Fixture or Light Bulb Problems.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – DIY Electrical. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Non Contact Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to access the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before servicing or repairing any light fixture components.
Notice: Always install light bulbs that are specified by the light fixture manufacturer. Changes in light bulb type must not produce more heat which could damage light fixture components or the area of the light fixture installation.
How to Select The Right Bulb for a Light Fixture
Here are a few things to consider when selecting replacement light bulbs for a Light Fixture
- Use replacement bulbs that are specified on the light fixture specifications sheet.
- Do not exceed the maximum size light bulb as indicated on the light fixture housing.
- Do not exceed the maximum watt output of the light fixture socket designation.
- Follow the light fixture manufacturers recommendations when using energy efficient light bulbs.
- Make sure the light fixture is UL approved.
Light Fixture Smells Like Burning Plastic
- If an odor is detected when the light fixture is being used this is usually due to installing the wrong light bulbs, or that that the light bulb is larger in size or watts then that which is specified for the light fixture.
More about Light Fixtures and Light Bulbs
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Broken Light Bulb, Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Light Bulb Base and the Light Fixture Socket||Running Power from a House to a Shed|