Using Correct Light Bulbs for Your Light Fixture
I changed a Light Bulb and now we Smell Burning Plastic, What Should We Do? Replacement Light Bulbs for Light Fixtures.
Light Fixture Smell
Electrical Question: Jamie asks: I changed a light bulb and now we Smell Burning Plastic, what should we do?
- A few days ago I noticed a light bulb burnt out in a pendant light over my kitchen island.
- I went to change it and the bulb was broken in the fixture.
- So we got it out and replaced the bulb.
- Then we noticed a burning plastic smell, so I changed the bulb but it still smells.
- What should I do, Change the pendant out?
This electrical repair question came from: Jamie in Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jamie.
Guidelines for Replacement Light Bulbs
Application: Light Fixture or Light Bulb Problems.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – DIY Electrical. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Non Contact Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to access the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before servicing or repairing any light fixture components.
Notice: Always install light bulbs that are specified by the light fixture manufacturer. Changes in light bulb type must not produce more heat which could damage light fixture components or the area of the light fixture installation.
How to Select The Right Bulb for a Light Fixture
Here are a few things to consider when selecting replacement light bulbs for a Light Fixture
- Use replacement bulbs that are specified on the light fixture specifications sheet.
- Do not exceed the maximum size light bulb as indicated on the light fixture housing.
- Do not exceed the maximum watt output of the light fixture socket designation.
- Follow the light fixture manufacturers recommendations when using energy efficient light bulbs.
- Make sure the light fixture is UL approved.
Light Fixture Smells Like Burning Plastic
- If an odor is detected when the light fixture is being used this is usually due to installing the wrong light bulbs, or that that the light bulb is larger in size or watts then that which is specified for the light fixture.
More about Light Fixtures and Light Bulbs
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Broken Light Bulb, Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Light Bulb Base and the Light Fixture Socket||Running Power from a House to a Shed|