The Problem of Vandalized Electrical Wiring
How to Repair Vandalized Electrical Wiring: What is the best way to repair electrical wiring that has been vandalized? Dealing with the Problem of Vandalized Electrical Wiring.
Vandalized Electrical Wiring Repairs
Electrical Question: What is the best way to repair electrical wiring that has been vandalized?
- I am having a new home built in Artesia and the electrical has been roughed in and stubbed out to an exterior wall where the panel will be placed.
- The wiring was vandalized, cutting the wire flush with the stucco.
- The builder is wanting to place a splice junction box just below the soffit and splice wires there and then extend then back to the panel.
- I would like wires replaced to first junction box on the inside, or if it is a home run cable then replace the whole length of cable.
- The builder is saying he method meets code. Do you think builders method will meet code?
This electrical wiring question came from John, in Artesia, New Mexico.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question John.
How to Repair Vandalized Electrical Wiring
Application: Splicing Damaged Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Certified Electrician or Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Important: Burnt or damaged wiring and circuit components should be replaced with new electrical materials of the same voltage and amperage rating.
Notice: Repairs to Home Electrical Wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes and installing new or replacement electrical parts or equipment may require to have a permit and be inspected.
Dealing with the Problem of Vandalized Electrical Wiring
The value of copper and aluminum wire can be a problem for theft at the job site. Electrical wiring can be damaged or stolen from a job site by vandals and then we have to make the appropriate repairs. The solution to resolve the damage of vandalized wiring must be worked out between the contractor and the homeowner, however additional labor time and electrical materials will need to be considered. Any insurance coverage for the project should be reviewed as a potential solution for the additional expense. In this case the wiring may be spliced as long as the methods are done correctly and according to code, or the affected length of cable may be replaced. With either solution there will be additional expenses that will be required.
Example of Splicing Vandalizing Electrical Wiring
- Splicing Wires Using a Junction Box A junction box must be sized correctly for the size, type, and number of wires that will be installed and spliced.
- Locating the Junction Box The junction box must be located so that it is accessible.
- Wires to Splice The new cables that will be added for replacing the wire that was vandalized must be the same type as the cable that they will be spliced to.
- Splicing with Wire Connectors Proper splicing methods and connectors must be used, and anti-corrosion inhibitor must be applied according to code for aluminum conductors.
- The Ground Wire The main panel GEC Ground Electrode Conductor should be continuous and not spliced.
If the splice box is metal then it must be bonded and grounded to the system ground.
- Identify Each Circuit Care should be taken to identify each circuit cable that will be spliced for proper circuit breaker labeling.
- Junction Box Openings Any unused openings of the splice box must be sealed and closed
- Installing the Junction Box Cover The splice box must be covered securely to protect the wiring.
More about Splicing Electrical Wires
- Guide to Home Electrical Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines
- Junction Boxes for Electrical Repairs and Home Remodel Projects
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
- Home Electrical Wiring Codes
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
- Electrical Code Directory covering electrical wiring and junction boxes.
- Splicing Electrical Wires
Electrical Junction Box Splice
- Electrical junction box splices can be made safely when you understand the method. This example will show you how its done step by step and shows how to make a junction box splice and the related electrical codes.
Emergency Electrical Splices
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Replacing a 2-Wire Receptacle Outlet||Wiring a 50amp 240volt Range Cord|