The Difference Between a Wall Outlet and a Floor Outlet
Floor Outlet Characteristics and Components: I would like to install a 15 amp floor outlet, are their specific codes that involve floor outlets?
Installing a Floor Outlet
Electrical Question: I would like to install a 15 amp floor outlet, are their specific codes that involve floor outlets?
- We have a 2″ raised floor on a concrete slab.
- I would like to install a 15 amp floor outlet.
- What is the difference between a floor outlet, and a wall outlet.
- I found a wall outlet that is shallow enough for our purpose, but we are installing into the floor.
- Are their specific codes that involve floor outlets?
- This will be in a workshop environment, in our basement.
This home electrical repairs question came from: Darcy, in Ravenna, Michigan.
Thanks for your electrical troubleshooting question Darcy.
Floor Outlets are Different by Design
Application: Wiring a 120 Volt Floor Outlet.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester. Additional power tools may be required depending on the type of flooring and the floor covering.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, the number of floor outlets that will be installed, and the access to the location for the new floor outlets and wiring.
Precaution: Identify the existing power circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing electrical wiring for floor outlets should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Floor Outlet Characteristics and Components
Example of a Typical Floor Box Installation
- Notice that floor outlets are different from wall outlets because of the protection that must be provided due to the vulnerability of damage.
- The floor outlet must have a special box or enclosure which is typically metal or any other approved material which is designed as a floor box.
- The 120 volt receptacle outlet is recessed back into the box so it may be covered when it is not in use and at the same time the cover provides protected from obstacles or materials falling into the receptacle.
- The face plate cover is typically heavy brass or any other approved material which will be corrosion resistant.
- The floor outlet face plate will also be designed so that a covering may be place over the receptacle as described above.
- Floor outlets are often found located under furniture to provide power for a table lamp.
- The electrical code requires the installation of boxes, outlets, and cover plates that are specifically designed and rated for use as a floor box.
More about Wiring Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Basement Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Basement Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
- Electrical Code Directory covering electrical boxes and outlets.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Home Remodeling and Electrical Wiring||How to Add a Light Fixture or Two »|