How To Move Light Fixture to a New Location
How to Extend Light Fixture Wiring to a New Location: The Procedure For Extending or Moving Light Fixture Wiring.
Guide for Moving a Light Fixture
Electrical Question: I want to move a ceiling light fixture to a location where it is centered over a dining room table.
- Because of the direction the 14-2 cable comes into the light fixture now, it is not long enough to reach the new desired location.
- I could extend the light fixture to the new location about three feet away by placing a junction box on the ceiling joist but this will be hidden when I close the wall board hole where the original box was. I think that is a code violation.
What is the best or right thing to do here according to electric code?
This electrical question came from: John, a Homeowner from Poway, California.
Thanks for your electrical question John.
How to Extend Light Fixture Wiring to a New Location
Application: Move a Light Fixture and Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a licensed electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a Voltage Tester and a fiberglass ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and work with the ceiling light fixture wiring.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifying or installing additional electrical wiring for a light fixture should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
The Procedure For Extending Light Fixture Wiring
EXAMPLE: If the area above the existing light fixture is accessible, then it is possible to do the following:
- Remove the existing light fixture junction box and turn it so that it is accessible from above.
- Install the required length of new wiring to the new location for the light fixture.
- Make the opening in the ceiling for the new light fixture.
- Keep the cut out and use it to patch the existing opening.
- Install the new fixture box and wiring.
- Secure the electrical wiring.
- Make the splice to the original light fixture box.
- Cover the junction box.
- Secure the original junction box to the ceiling joist.
More about Light Fixture Electrical Wiring
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for.
- Lighting For The Home
- Lighting Electrical Codes
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering lighting-codes.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Identifying Travel Trailer Outlet Problems||Home Remodeling and Electrical Wiring »|