How To Move Light Fixture to a New Location
How to Extend Light Fixture Wiring to a New Location: The Procedure For Extending or Moving Light Fixture Wiring.
Guide for Moving a Light Fixture
Electrical Question: I want to move a ceiling light fixture to a location where it is centered over a dining room table.
- Because of the direction the 14-2 cable comes into the light fixture now, it is not long enough to reach the new desired location.
- I could extend the light fixture to the new location about three feet away by placing a junction box on the ceiling joist but this will be hidden when I close the wall board hole where the original box was. I think that is a code violation.
What is the best or right thing to do here according to electric code?
This electrical question came from: John, a Homeowner from Poway, California.
Thanks for your electrical question John.
How to Extend Light Fixture Wiring to a New Location
Application: Move a Light Fixture and Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a licensed electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a Voltage Tester and a fiberglass ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and work with the ceiling light fixture wiring.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifying or installing additional electrical wiring for a light fixture should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
The Procedure For Extending Light Fixture Wiring
EXAMPLE: If the area above the existing light fixture is accessible, then it is possible to do the following:
- Remove the existing light fixture junction box and turn it so that it is accessible from above.
- Install the required length of new wiring to the new location for the light fixture.
- Make the opening in the ceiling for the new light fixture.
- Keep the cut out and use it to patch the existing opening.
- Install the new fixture box and wiring.
- Secure the electrical wiring.
- Make the splice to the original light fixture box.
- Cover the junction box.
- Secure the original junction box to the ceiling joist.
More about Light Fixture Electrical Wiring
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for.
- Lighting For The Home
- Lighting Electrical Codes
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering lighting-codes.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Identifying Travel Trailer Outlet Problems||Home Remodeling and Electrical Wiring »|