Rewiring a Wall Switch for a Light Fixture
How can I connect a switch to one light and two receptacles? How to Rewire a Light Switch that Controls a Wall Outlet.
Wiring a Switch and Outlet
- I need to connect one single pole light switch, one light, and two receptacles in a bedroom.
- There is one cable that is hot.
- The previous set-up included all the cables from each coming into the box for the light, and then was connected.
- I just want the light switch to control the light, and the receptacles to be on at all times.
This electrical wiring question came from: Shannon, a Homeowner from Clifton Park, New York.
See more about Home Wiring for New York
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Shannon.
How to Rewire a Light Switch that Controls a Wall Outlet
Application: Rewire a Switch Controlled Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best wired by a licensed electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Wiring Methods for s Switch Controlled Wall Outlet
Note: There are a few different methods used for wiring wall switches and receptacle outlets, and some may be easily altered and reconfigured to allow another type of control operation of the light switch and outlet.
Rewiring at the Light Switch
- From the information that has been provided with Shannon’s question, the following describes the typical wiring connections:
- Control the Light Fixture Plugged Into the Outlet: In order to control the light fixture only from the switch and have the receptacles hot all the time, the cable leading to the light fixture must be identified so that the black wire of the light fixture cable can be attached to one of the screw terminals of the light switch.
- Black and White Wire Connections: All the white neutral wires are connected together, and all the black wires are connected together and an additional pigtail black wire would provide power for the other light switch screw terminal.
- Connecting the Ground Wires: All of the ground wires are connected together and with a pigtail that will be used for the ground screw terminal for the light switch.
More about Wiring Light Switches
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
Home Electrical Codes
Electrical Code Directory covering electrical wiring for outlets and lighting.
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Home Electrical Wiring
Or Ask Dave a Question