Wiring a Combo Switch Outlet
How Can I Replace a Garbage Disposal Switch with a Combination Switch? How to Wire a Combo Switch Outlet, Wiring a Combo Device Switched Outlet or Half Hot Outlet, How to Convert a Switched Outlet.
How to Wire a Combo Switch Outlet
Electrical Question: How Can I Replace a Garbage Disposal Switch with a Combination Switch?
- I’m trying to replace a garbage disposal switch with a combination switch, and keep the bottom plug live at all times.
- I’m not sure if it can be done with just the black, white, and ground wire.
This electrical question came from: Scott, a Homeowner from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Thanks for your electrical question Scott.
Wiring a Combo Switched Outlet
Application: Wiring for a Half Hot Switched Outlet.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best Installed by a Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Electricians Tools, including Pouch of Hand Tools, and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the circuit power source at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before installing wiring or working or making connections.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done through the local building authority, according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have required inspections.
Part 1. Wiring a Combo Switched Outlet or Half Hot Outlet
Applications for Combo Switch Outlets
- Scott, a combo switch outlet will require the set of wires that are for the switched device, in this case the disposal, and the outlet will require a hot, neutral and ground wire.
- If the combo switch outlet is being installed at the kitchen counter top area then the combo switch outlet will need to be a GFI combo switch outlet.
Part 2. Switch and Outlet Wiring
How to Convert a Switched Outlet
- The switch I am replacing has two red wires plugged into the back of the receptacle, and two black wires plugged into the one below.
- If I want to keep the same set up I can just connect the two red to the top brass screw and the two black to the bottom but must break the small brass tab between the screws not the plastic, correct?
- If I don’t care to use the wall switch all I have to do is to cap off the red and connect one black to one brass screw and one to the other brass screw w/o touching the brass tab,correct?
Wiring Modification for a Non Switched Outlet
- Insulating the Unused Wire
- Yes, the red wire may be capped off and the outlet may remain hot all the time.
More about Wiring Switches
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Wiring Diagrams
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Garbage Disposal and Dishwasher Wiring
- Fully explained dishwasher disposal wiring diagrams with pictures for wiring the outlet that serves a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. One very important element can be easily overlooked as you will see in these pictures.
For more information about Home Wiring
Home Electrical Wiring
- Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Combo Switch Outlet, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Can A Dryer Be Connected to a Generator?||How to Wire an Over the Range Microwave|