Removing a Medicine Cabinet Light Installing a New Fixture
How to Install a Wall Fixture Electrical Junction Box – If the light fixture is a bar type then a larger junction box can be installed off center if the fixture will allow a hole to be drilled in line with the wall box for the wiring to pass through into the wall box for the connections.
Installing a Wall Fixture Electrical Junction Box
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I am trying to replace and old bathroom lighting fixture which is attached to a medicine cabinet.
- It is one piece and the whole unit has been removed.
- The medicine cabinet will be replaced by a regular mirror and I want to install a new light fixture and center it above the mirror.
- There is a stud where the mirror must be centered.
- There are water pipes running along either side of the stud.
- I was told to use a pancake junction box but my new fixture has 4 black, 4 white and a ground wire.
- I’m sure it would be a code violation to try to shove all those wires into the pancake.
- The pancake is 4″.
- What is the maximum number of wires that can go into the pancake?
- Is there another alternative?
It seems I may have to look for a different fixture with fewer wires.
This electrical question came from: Stu, a Homeowner from Meriden, CT
See more about Home Wiring for Connecticut
Thanks for your electrical question Stu.
How to Install a Wall Fixture Electrical Junction Box
- The links below will give you all that you need, but typically the light fixture has an area where the wires from the wall pancake box can be routed into and the connections can usually be made inside the light fixture, otherwise your right, the pancake box is not large enough.
- If the light fixture is a bar type then a larger junction box can be installed off center if the fixture will allow a hole to be drilled in line with the wall box for the wiring to pass through into the wall box for the connections.
- If this is done the hole should have an insulated bushing installed to protect the wiring.
The Following will assist you with your Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
How to Install Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Code Articles
- Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets.
- Electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project.
- Electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring.
- Electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, smoke-detectors.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Splice Copper and Aluminum Electrical Wires||Home Warranty and Electrical Parts|