» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Phone Jack Wiring and 4 Wire Connections
Why are there four wire connections on a standard home phone jack? How to Wire a 4-Wire Phone Jack Connection.
4 Wire Phone Jack Connections
[ad#block]Question:Why are there four wire connections on a standard home phone jack?
- Why are there 4 wire connections at a standard home phone jack when I’ve always had good luck using only two wires?
- Are 4 wires really necessary for each telephone?
Thanks for the answer. Great site! Ken.
This electrical question came from: Ken, a Handyman from Livingston, Montana.
Additional Comments: Really a neat site! Very helpful. Thanks!
Thanks for your electrical question Ken.
How to Wire a 4-Wire Phone Jack Connection
- You are right, there are only two wires needed for a phone line to work.
- There are always at least one spare pair to be used for a second line
- This prevents having to install a new cable
The Following resources will assist you with Telephone Wiring
For more information about Phone Jack Wiring
Phone Jack Wiring
This telephone wiring diagram with photos and instructions will show you the direct steps to correctly wiring a telephone jack.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Telephone Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Problem With Dimplex Electric Heater Unit||Install A Garage Door Indicator Light Using Home Automation|