Phone Jack Wiring and 4 Wire Connections
Why are there four wire connections on a standard home phone jack? How to Wire a 4-Wire Phone Jack Connection.
4 Wire Phone Jack Connections
Question:Why are there four wire connections on a standard home phone jack?
- Why are there 4 wire connections at a standard home phone jack when I’ve always had good luck using only two wires?
- Are 4 wires really necessary for each telephone?
Thanks for the answer. Great site! Ken.
This electrical question came from: Ken, a Handyman from Livingston, Montana.
Additional Comments: Really a neat site! Very helpful. Thanks!
Thanks for your electrical question Ken.
How to Wire a 4-Wire Phone Jack Connection
- You are right, there are only two wires needed for a phone line to work.
- There are always at least one spare pair to be used for a second line
- This prevents having to install a new cable
The Following links will assist you with Telephone Wiring
For more information about Phone Jack Wiring
Phone Jack Wiring
This telephone wiring diagram with photos and instructions will show you the direct steps to correctly wiring a telephone jack.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Telephone Wiring 4-wire, one pair, phone jack wiring, telephone wiring, wire a phone, wire a phone jack
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.