Method to Convert 220 volt to 120 volt
Voltage Converters or Transformers for Specific 120 Volt Applications: A 120 volt circuit cannot be tapped off of a 220 volt circuit simply because there is no insulated neutral wire conductor that is used in this type of 220 volt circuit.
Voltage Converters or Transformers
Electrical Question: Would it be possible to tap into a 220v junction box for a 120 v power supply?
- On the ranch that I am working on there are three outdoor street lamps installed and they are all individually powered by their own 220v power line.
- The routing of one of the lines goes to a junction box and then continues to the street light.
- The junction box is attached to the side of a barn. I would like to install a receptacle with 110v in this barn.
- Would it be possible for me to safely tap into the 220v junction box for my power supply and if so what supplies should I have ?
This electrical wiring question came from: Russell, a Handyman in California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Russell.
Voltage Converters or Transformers for Specific 120 Volt Applications
- A 120 volt circuit cannot be tapped off of a 220 volt circuit simply because there is no insulated neutral wire conductor that is used in this type of 220 volt circuit. However you may install a transformer or voltage converter which when installed correctly can produce the desired 120 volt circuit.
- Make sure that you are purchasing the correct size converter for your specific application and the devices that you will be connecting to this type of power supply are compatible.
- Be aware that the 220 volt lighting circuit may be energized all the time if the light fixtures are controlled by photocells. I would recommend that you have a qualified electrician assist you with this project.
To locate a supplier just search for : 220 to 120 Voltage Converters & Transformers
The Following will assist you with your Electrical Question:
For more information about Electrical Safety
Home Electrical Safety
A new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Converters and Transformers, Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Upgrading 100 Amp Electric Service Panel to 150 Amp||Casablanca Ceiling Fan Wiring|