» Need Electrical Help? Get a Quick Reply! Ask the Electrician
Local Codes May Determine Electrical Service Panel Locations
Why is the main electric service panel located outside some homes? Your Main Electrical Panel Location may Depend on Local Codes.By: Dave Rongey
Installing a Main Electrical Panel
Electrical Question: Why is the main electric service panel located outside some homes?
- I live in the Chicago land area. My son bought a home in Phoenix, AZ area. In the mid west, the electrical fuse panels are located inside the home or in the garage.
- In Phoenix, the electrical panels are installed on the outside of the building. What is the reason for this?
- If someone wanted to play a prank on me or I had a neighbor who just did not like me, could turn off the electricity at the main breaker and I could come home from a vacation with a frig or freezer with spoiled food.
- Also, if I had an alarm system on my home, it would be very easy to cut the power to the system if the fuse box is located outside.
- It does not make any sense to me that disabling power to a home would be so easy in Arizona. Please help me understand.
Background: Bruce, a Handyman from Rolling Meadows, Illinois for a job site in Phoenix, Arizona.
Thanks for your electrical panel question Bruce.
How to install a Home Electrical Panel
Your Main Electrical Panel Location may Depend on Local Codes
- I understand the concern of this question, however I believe that the home electrical panels in the mid western states of the USA are there due to extreme weather and that many homes have basements.
- In Arizona the weather is much different. For example; here in California it is required by code that the main electrical disconnect switch is located outside so that in the event of a fire the electrical service can be turned off to prevent hard to the firefighters as well as the structure.
- Keep in mind that all panel covers usually have a tab that will allow a lock to be placed to prevent tampering. This is why are some electrical panels installed on the outside of building when others are located inside.
- Electrical wiring is installed according to the National Electrical Code, NEC, as well as Locally adopted electrical codes.
More about Installing a Home Electrical Panel
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Home Electrical Codes
Electrical Code Directory covering bedroom circuits, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, bathroom outlets, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-codes and smoke-detectors.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Learn more about Home Electrical Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Home Wiring Electrical, panel, Sub-Panel and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Cause of Electrical Shock From A Guitar Amp||Wiring Pendulum Lights For A Creative Application|