Litahni in Kailua Hawaii asks Why is my Electric Energy Bill So High
How to Reduce Your Energy Bill: I have been having a high electric bill since I moved into my house.
What Causes a High Electric Bill?
Electrical Question: I have been having high electric bill since I moved into my house. We do have a Pool and the pump only runs two hours a day, we had it Checked and it was not The problem. The meter was checked and it was found to be good. We have shut everything down and lived a semi Amish life style for a month with no luck. The hot water tank is solar so that’s not a factor.
This electrical question came from Litahni, in Kailua, Hawaii.
Dave’s Reply: Thanks for your home electrical question Litahni.
How to Reduce a High Electric Energy Bill
A high electrical bill can be caused by many things, however there are a few items that should be checked first which can cause a high energy.
- Chest Freezer that Runs all the Time
An inefficient chest freezer can cause a high amount of electricity to be consumed, especially if the chest freezer is located in a warm location, and the condenser coils are full of dust and lint.
- Refrigerator with Clogged Condenser Coils
An inefficient refrigerator can also be a drain on your electricity and cause high energy usage.
- How to Clean Condenser Coils
- Any type of cooling unit, such as an air conditioner, freezer, refrigerator or wine cooler has a condenser pump and condenser coils.
- Routine cleaning and vacuuming the dust and lint that naturally piles up around the condenser coil unit will prevent the coil unit from transferring heat and cooling down the refrigerant which will cause the unit to run longer.
- Careful cleaning is best done after unplugging the unit or turning the circuit power off, then by using a vinyl lint brush and a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust and lint. If the unit is located in an outdoor area then compressed air will do a great job of blowing out the lint and dust.
- The condenser coils are typically located under, or behind the main enclosure, or inside the area where the condenser pump is located.
- Be sure to plug the unit back in and turn on the power after the coil cleaning is completed.
Helpful Information about Chest Freezers and High Energy Usage
Energy Savings: Energy cost for chest freezer
The energy cost for chest freezer.
More about Home Energy Savings
Audit for Energy Savings
Audit for Energy Savings – Working from home saves energy and time by cutting out the commute, but it may increase your home energy bills a lot unless you use energy-saving office equipment.
Home Energy Savings Checklist
Home Energy Savings Checklists – Homeowners Guide to Saving Energy for lower utility bills and what you can do today to help save energy.
Tips for Home Energy Savings
Tips for Home Energy Savings – For energy-efficient improvements that will help reduce your home utility bills bills and improve your overall home efficiency.
Energy Savings Guide
Great Ways to Lower Your Energy Bills Right Away with this Homeowners Energy Saving Guide.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Bob in Washington Lost Power to the Backside of his House||Replacing Ungrounded Outlets with a GFI »|