» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Light Bulb Base and the Light Fixture Socket
How to Identify the Positive and Negative Parts of a Light Bulb: Light Bulb Base and Fixture Socket, Electrical Tips about Light Bulbs and Fixture Wiring.
The Light Bulb Base and the Fixture Socket
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I would like to know more about the base of a light bulb.
- What are the positive and negative parts of a light bulb?
This electrical wiring question came from: Noel, a Homeowner from Mexico.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Noel.
Light Bulb Base and Fixture Socket
How to Identify the Positive and Negative Parts of a Light Bulb
Great question Noel, this is something most people do not understand.
- Basically the standard screw base light bulb has two areas that come into contact with the light fixture lamp socket.
- At the very end of the light bulb is the small round tip which is the positive contact surface.
- The outer threaded part of the base is the negative connection contact surface.
- These two parts are generally insulated by the glass base of the light bulb.
- Because the positive area is at the tip location of the light bulb, this helps prevent a person from receiving a shock if the were to unscrew a burnt out light bulb and their hand would come into contact with the side base of the light bulb or socket.
Electrical Tip about Light Bulbs and Fixture Wiring
- Always be sure to connect the wires of a light fixture correctly otherwise you may be energizing the negative part of the light bulb instead of the positive center tip.
See more about Identifying the Wires of Flat Cords
The Following will assist you with Light Bulbs and Fixture Wiring:
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
- Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Light Bulbs and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Magnetic Ballast and Electronic Ballast on the Same Circuit||Using Correct Light Bulbs for Your Light Fixture|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.