Kitchen Range Circuit
How to Install Electrical Circuit Wiring for an Electric Range Circuit. I have an older home and the circuit to my existing range is 3 wire 40 amp.
Sizing a Electric Range Circuit
Electrical Question: I have an older home and the circuit to my existing range is 3 wire 40 amp.
- I’m replacing the range and can’t figure out some of the ratings.
- Kenmore spells out on their website, the max amp load is 40 amp but if I add up the wattage’s (4000W broiler, 2500W 9″ element, 2700W 12″ element and 2 1200W 6″ elements) I get 11.6KW; divided by 240, I get 48 AMP. Am I missing something here?
- Most range manufacturers I’ve looked at don’t even give you a max amp rating and when I contacted Samsung about this and they wanted to know if I even needed to worry about amperage, but I know that is a main factor I need to be concerned about.
Any help is appreciated – Thanks!
This electrical question came from: Jack, a Homeowner from Newark, Delaware.
Thanks for your electrical question Jack.
Kitchen Range Circuit Size
How to Install Electrical Circuit Wiring for an Electric Range Circuit
- Jack, you must go by what the manufacturer is specifying for the circuit wiring and the amperage, especially the cord size.
- If the cord is specified at 60 amps:
- The circuit must be a 240 volt.
- 60 amp circuit.
- This is a typical circuit that is installed for an electric range for a home.
More about Wiring a Kitchen Range Circuit:
- Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
- Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range.
- Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Residential Electrical Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Oven Wiring
Electric Oven Wiring
Fully Described Kitchen Electric Oven Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric circuit. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric oven.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Oven Wiring, Range Circuit Questions and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Changing a Hot Tub Electrical Circuit||How to Replace a Thermostat|