Is Your Bathroom GFCI Outlet a Problem
Signs that a Bathroom GFCI Outlet May Need to be Replaced:I flipped the breaker switch and repeated. Is there anything I can do?
Does Your GFI Outlet Need Replacing?
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I’ve been renting an apartment for a month. The GFCI outlet in my bathroom powered my hair straightener fine for several weeks.
- Last week after an earthquake it stopped powering that appliance. Other appliances still work fine when plugged into the GFCI – like my hair dryer, and the straightener works fine plugged into outlets in other rooms. It’s AC100-120v, 50/60Hz, 72W.
- I’ve tested and reset the GFCI. I flipped the breaker switch and repeated. Is there anything I can do? Is an appliance with this voltage not meant to work in a GFCI? Why would it work for weeks and then not work now?
Any insight would be helpful.
This electrical question came from: Heather, from Washington, DC.
Thanks for your electrical question Heather.
Bathroom GFCI Outlets
Signs that a Bathroom GFCI Outlet May Need to be Replaced
- When there is a problem that is happening with just one GFCI outlet then it may be time to replace that GFI with a new one.
- GFI outlets can wear out and go bad without warning and the most obvious indication is that it will not RESET.
- The GFI TEST Button should be checked frequently as well, because another indication that the GFI outlet is bad is when it stays ON all the time and will not trip OFF – and that is dangerous!
Wiring GFI Outlets
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Should You Upgrade a Federal Pacific Stab Lok Panel||Installing Three Way Dimmer Light Switches|