Installing an Outlet in the Ceiling of a Building
We have been installing 110v receptacles in above grid locations. My question is in regards to above ceiling electrical outlets in plenum non-plenum ceilings.
Building Ceiling Outlet
Electrical Question: Can electrical conduit and electrical outlets be installed in the ceiling of a building?
New Project: In existing buildings in different states.
- We have been installing 110v receptacles in above grid locations for our Conference room iPad schedulers, that are mounted on door frames just outside of our room.
- My question is in regards to above ceiling electrical outlets. We have had various contractors reach out to us and say that it is ‘do-able’, ‘not do-able’, some say depends on ‘plenum non-plenum’ ceilings.
- We essentially just have a receptacle with a ‘USB’ output on the face of it, to power the conference room iPad which hosts our media platform. We just want to know if this is an OK venture moving forward, or should we search for alternative; PoE solutions instead.
This electrical wiring question came from Michael in California.
Additional Comments: Website is very helpful and will also be looking forward to your reply as well as the eBook.
Michael, Thank You for Visiting Ask-the-Electrician!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Michael.
Electrical Code for Ceiling Outlets
Application: Electrical Code for Adding an Outlet.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Outlet, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Outlet should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in California. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Electrical Code General Question a Outlet in a Office
This electrical wiring project is about Electrical Code for installing an Outlet in the Office of a Building.
Outlet Electrical Code General Question
Reviewing the Electrical Question:
- Can electrical conduit and electrical outlets be installed in the ceiling of a building?
- Michael, from the information you have provided, a solid electrical conduit may be installed inside a ceiling space and penetrate a sheet rock wall, however if the space is used as a plenum, and or the wall is a firewall then restrictions will apply.
- Reference: NEC Article 725.61 Wiring shall be either plenum rated or shall be installed in metal Conduit.
- Approved fire barrier putty must be used to seal up the opening around a conduit that penetrates a fire rated wall.
- Approved fire barrier putty may be required to wrap around electrical boxes on a fire rated wall.
- The concern is to provide the same fire rating as the fire wall that is being penetrated.
- NOTE: Plug in outlets should not be installed inside a ceiling that is used as a air plenum.
- IMPORTANT: Schools, hospitals, and government buildings will have much tougher restrictions. Be sure to check with all local codes and adopted NEC Codes that may apply to each project location as well.
More about Electrical Code General Question a Outlet
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Home Office Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Home Office Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, and smoke-detectors.
Home Wiring Projects
Installing electrical wiring projects for safety and home improvements.
Electrical Project Guidelines
Electrical wiring projects guidelines necessary to follow for most any project you may choose to do. By following a few simple steps you will be considering the components necessary for a successful project from start to completion.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Adding Outlets, Electrical Code NEC, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|My Post Light has a Damaged Cable, Can I install Low Voltage Lighting||Generator Automatic Transfer Switch is Crackling Sizzling and Arcing|