Installing A Fireplace Electrical Outlet
How to Install Electrical Wiring for an Outlet Above a Fireplace: My concern is the cool air and hot air that the attic produces during certain times of the day and I’m a afraid of moisture getting to the wire which may cause a fire.
Considerations For Fireplace Outlet Wiring
Electrical Question: I added an electrical outlet above my fireplace and came across some concerns.
First, there was a wire behind the fireplace that went to two separate outlets next to the fireplace – one on the left and one on the right.
- I took this wire and cut it in half and added a wire for the outlet above the fireplace.
- I used wire caps to connect all the wires and wrapped it with electrical tape.
- My concern is the cool air and hot air that the attic produces during certain times of the day and I’m a afraid of moisture getting to the wire which may cause a fire.
Will my family be okay?
Second, the wire is behind the fireplace.
- If I decide to use the fireplace during the winter, will the wires melt?
Thanks, for you time.
This electrical wiring question came from: James, a Homeowner from Keller, Texas
See more about Electrical Wiring for Texas
Additional Comments: First time visiting this site.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question James.
How to Install Electrical Wiring for an Outlet Above a Fireplace
- The wiring should always be installed with the environmental conditions in mind in order to protect the wiring and maintain the integrity of the electrical circuit.
- High temperature rated electrical wiring is available for applications such as this.
- The heat resistant wiring may be required to be installed in a protective conduit and a metal outlet box.
- Ground wires must be bonded to protect the circuit devices.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Activate a Garage Light from the Garage Door Opener||How to Wire Fireplace Inserts with Heat Sensors|