Installing a Dimmer Switch for a Track Light
Do I need an expensive electronic low voltage dimmer for my track lighting? Considerations When Installing a Dimmer Switch for a Track Light Fixture. Resources for how to wire a dimmer switch.
Dimmer Switch Compatibility and Track Lights
Electrical Wiring Question: Do I need an expensive electronic low voltage dimmer for my track lighting?
- I was just told by someone that I have to use one of the more expensive electronic low voltage dimmers on my track lighting.
- Is this true? Or are they just trying to get me to buy a more expensive dimmer switch from them?
- Will this other type of dimmer make the transformers burn out?
This electrical question came from: Neha, a Homeowner from Deerfield, IL.
See more about Home Wiring for Indiana
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Neha.
Wiring a Dimmer Switch for a Track Light
Application: Installing a Dimmer Switch on a Track Light.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dimmer switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement dimmer switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used. The dimmer switch must be rated for the amount of watts that will be controlled.
Considerations When Installing a Dimmer Switch for a Track Light
- The type of dimmer switch that will be required will depend on the type of lights that will be controlled by the dimmer switch.
- If the track lights are low voltage then you must have a dimmer switch that is compatible with the voltage and the type of lamps that are being controlled.
- Because of the different types of dimmer switches, the electrical wiring configurations and connections will depend on the specific dimmer switch that will be installed.
Please see the following for examples of how to wire a dimmer switch.
More about Wiring a Dimmer Switch
Dimmer Switch Wiring
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Changed a Light Bulb Now Fixture Does Not Work||Wire Connections and Adding Outlets »|