Installing a Ceiling Fan Using Surface Wiring
How can I Install a Ceiling Fan without an Electrical Box? Install a Ceiling Fan without Turing it into a Major Construction Project.
Install a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Question: How can I Install a Ceiling Fan without an Electrical Box?
I want to Install a Ceiling Fan in a Ceiling without a Electrical box. I have an extra 12×15 room in my home which will be turned into an office. In the room their are 3 plugs and 1 switch. There is not a ceiling fan electrical box. How do I pull power, neutral and ground to the fan electrical box from the wall outlets.
Thank you for your input it’s much appreciated as well as your very informative web site.
Additional Comments: Outstanding.
Background: Gregory, a Homeowner from Las Vegas, Nevada.
Thanks for your electrical question Gregory.
How to Install Ceiling Fan Wiring
How to Install a Ceiling Fan in a Ceiling without a Electrical Box without Turing it into a Major Construction Project.
Install a Ceiling Fan in a Ceiling without an Electrical Box
- If the walls of the room are finished off and there are no plans to do any necessary construction then I would recommend installing surface mounted conduit or a product know as Wiremold.
- Surface conduit or Wire mold is a decorative way to add wiring to any finished surface.
- Typically you start with an extension box over one of the existing outlets, then using the Wiremold and various fitting that are available you create a path leading up to the position for a switch box, then continue up to the location of the ceiling fan.
- Keep in mind that Wire Mold is a Trade Name which is actually known in the industry as surface raceway.
- This has nothing to do with cars. Raceway just means an enclosure which is approved for installing wiring.
- There are also boxes that are specifically rated for ceiling fans which should be used for your application.
More about Installing Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Surface Wiring
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Microwave Oven Does Not Work Hood Fan Does||Adding Circuits and Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring »|