» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Identifying Direct Burial Telephone Cable
Direct Burial Telephone Cable: This type of cable is a commonly installed and used for telephone service in areas such as yours. The wire is buried at least 18″ underground with out any conduit pipe.
Direct Burial Telephone Cable – aka Gopher Resistant Cable
[ad#block]Electrical Question I recently found some wire on my property that came out of the ground near a utility pole.
- The pole is a drop for my well. The wire has a black sheath with 10 conductors that are approximately 16-20 gauge.
- The wire is buried at least 18″ underground with out any conduit pipe.
- What could the wire be used for possibly? the wire is not hot so at least the previous owner was kind enough to kill the power to it.
This electrical wiring question came from: Kevin Collins, a Homeowner from Ramona, CA., San Diego County.
Additional Comments: website is very informational and greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Kevin.
Direct Burial Telephone Cable
- You have discovered a direct burial telephone cable.
- This type of cable is a commonly installed and used for telephone service in areas such as yours.
The Following will assist you with Telephone Cable
This telephone wiring diagram with photos and instructions will show you the direct steps to correctly wiring a telephone jack.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Direct Burial Cable and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Heated Outlet and the Cause of Lost Power||Adding a Light Fixture to a 3 Way Switch|