Adding a Light Fixture to a 3 Way Switch
3 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams: There are wiring modifications which would allow you to accomplish what you are trying to do, however the specific 3-way switch method that you now have must be identified.
Light Fixtures and 3 Way Switch Diagrams
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I have added an additional light (sconce) to a three way switch.
- I have “scabbed” the neutral (white) from a near by outlet because there isn’t a neutral (white) wire in the switch box. I tried to wire nut the new light to either leg (red or black) and if it is connected to the black leg the switch that is “local” can turn the light off, but the other switch cannot and vise versa happens when I connect to the red side.
- Do I need a different switch?
This electrical wiring question came from: Tom, a Homeowner from Gretna, NE
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Tom.
3 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams
- A neutral wire should never be “scabbed” or used with another circuit as this question describes.
- This practice may result in a dangerous condition.
- There are wiring modifications which would allow you to accomplish what you are trying to do, however the specific 3-way switch method that you now have must be identified.
- I have prepared an extensive guide which will help you with your 3-way switches and light fixture wiring.
The Following will assist you with 3 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams
3 Way Switch Diagram
3 Way Switch Diagram
In response to the requests for this information, I have developed a comprehensive,step-by-step guide designed to walk you through the identification and wiring of your 3-way switches.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about 3-Way Switch, Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Identifying Direct Burial Telephone Cable||Repairing Security System Telephone Wiring|