How to Wire an Over the Range Microwave
Installing Electric Wiring for a Microwave above a Range: I am installing an over the range microwave where there was a hard wired fan and light.
Wiring an Outlet for a Microwave with a Exhaust Fan
Electrical Question: I am installing an over the range microwave where there was a hard wired fan and light.
- Can I connect an outlet to the hard wired cable and plug it in?
- In the fuse box its a 15amp circuit breaker.
- When I shut off the breaker it also shuts off the TV and cable box.
This electrical wiring question came from Patrick, in Stoneham, Massachusetts.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Patrick.
Application: Wiring a 120 Volt Microwave Oven Circuit.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord.
Safety Measures: Personal safety and construction safety measures must be practiced as needed for the type of construction materials that are present and the circuit wiring methods which will be performed.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
Notice: Installing a dedicated microwave outlet and electrical circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Electric Wiring for a Microwave above a Range
- The typical microwave oven consumes a great deal of power, and higher watt microwave ovens typically require a dedicated circuit.
- Verify the circuit requirements in the owners manual or installation manual that is supplied by the manufacturer.
- If you try connecting the microwave oven onto a shared circuit you risk overloading the circuit and tripping the circuit breaker.
- Installing a microwave oven over a range typically involves installing a dedicated 120 volt 20 amp circuit, and placing a receptacle outlet in the upper cabinet above the range.
Wiring a Microwave
Microwave Circuit Wiring
- In kitchens it is common practice that if a microwave oven will be installed at a given location, such as Hood-Fan Microwave Ovens, that a Dedicated 20 Amp Circuit is always installed.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Wiring a Combo Switch Outlet||What to do When a Fuse or Breaker Trips Off »|