» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
How to Wire a Dryer Motor Switch
Wiring an Dryer Motor Start Switch: Dryer Motor Centrifugal Start Switch, Dryer switch number 3388235 is the motor switch which has 2 sets of terminals, with three wire connections on each side.
Electrical Wiring for a Dryer Motor Start Switch
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I was cleaning inside of my Kenmore dryer, and I removed the drive motor number 3388238.
- The motor does not have wire harness, instead has a switch number 3388235.
- I disconnected four wires, the red and black on right side, and red and white on left side.
- I labeled the wires, but was not enough to figure out where they go back. I reconnected and re-assembled the dryer.
- When I plug it back in, it blows the breaker regardless if the timer knob was on or off.
- Note: The switch has three connections on each side.
- On right side: 1 black wire to the motor which I did not touch. 2 and 3 I disconnected, but not sure now where the red and black should go.
- On left side: 1 White wire to the motor which I did not touch, two blue wires which I did not touch, and a red and white wire that I disconnected, but I do not think now they are on the right place.
- Could you please advice on the order or place for connecting the red and black on the right side, and the red and white on the left side?
Thank you very Much.
This electrical wiring question came from: Gad, from Charlotte, North Carolina.
Thanks for your electrical question Gad.
Wiring an Dryer Motor Start Switch
Application: Wiring a Dryer Motor.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and connect the 240 volt dryer cord.
Precaution: Identify the dryer circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dryer cord wiring.
Notice: Wiring a dryer cord and making the electrical connections should be done according to local and national electrical codes and using approved materials.
Dryer Motor Centrifugal Start Switch
Dryer switch number 3388235 is the motor switch which has 2 sets of terminals, with three wire connections on each side.
- The wiring connections will be specific to individual dryer model and motor type.
- A typical centrifugal dryer motor switch engages the start capacitor until the motor comes up to full speed.
- You mentioned that there were two red wires, so it may be that these wires need to be reversed, however this can only be definite if we have a good wiring diagram or more clear specifics about your electric dryer.
- The dryer should have a wiring diagram posted which will show the exact connections of the wiring for the motor and the rest of the electrical components.
More about Wiring a Dryer
Wiring Connections for an Electric Dryer Cord and Wall Plug Receptacle
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
- This is an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Notice how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring For A Light Switch and Outlet||240 Volt Circuits for Ovens and Dryers|