How to Wire a Dryer Motor Switch
Wiring an Dryer Motor Start Switch: Dryer Motor Centrifugal Start Switch, Dryer switch number 3388235 is the motor switch which has 2 sets of terminals, with three wire connections on each side.
Electrical Wiring for a Dryer Motor Start Switch
Electrical Question: I was cleaning inside of my Kenmore dryer, and I removed the drive motor number 3388238.
- The motor does not have wire harness, instead has a switch number 3388235.
- I disconnected four wires, the red and black on right side, and red and white on left side.
- I labeled the wires, but was not enough to figure out where they go back. I reconnected and re-assembled the dryer.
- When I plug it back in, it blows the breaker regardless if the timer knob was on or off.
- Note: The switch has three connections on each side.
- On right side: 1 black wire to the motor which I did not touch. 2 and 3 I disconnected, but not sure now where the red and black should go.
- On left side: 1 White wire to the motor which I did not touch, two blue wires which I did not touch, and a red and white wire that I disconnected, but I do not think now they are on the right place.
- Could you please advice on the order or place for connecting the red and black on the right side, and the red and white on the left side?
Thank you very Much.
This electrical wiring question came from: Gad, from Charlotte, North Carolina.
Thanks for your electrical question Gad.
Wiring an Dryer Motor Start Switch
Application: Wiring a Dryer Motor.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and connect the 240 volt dryer cord.
Precaution: Identify the dryer circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dryer cord wiring.
Notice: Wiring a dryer cord and making the electrical connections should be done according to local and national electrical codes and using approved materials.
Dryer Motor Centrifugal Start Switch
Dryer switch number 3388235 is the motor switch which has 2 sets of terminals, with three wire connections on each side.
- The wiring connections will be specific to individual dryer model and motor type.
- A typical centrifugal dryer motor switch engages the start capacitor until the motor comes up to full speed.
- You mentioned that there were two red wires, so it may be that these wires need to be reversed, however this can only be definite if we have a good wiring diagram or more clear specifics about your electric dryer.
- The dryer should have a wiring diagram posted which will show the exact connections of the wiring for the motor and the rest of the electrical components.
More about Wiring a Dryer
Wiring Connections for an Electric Dryer Cord and Wall Plug Receptacle
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
- This is an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Notice how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring For A Light Switch and Outlet||240 Volt Circuits for Ovens and Dryers|