» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
How To Wire A Photocell To Control A Light Fixture
How do I to wire a photocell to a light fixture? A photocell can be used to control outdoor lights when installing into the electrical wiring as described here.
Photocell Wiring for a Light Fixture
[ad#block]Electrical Repairs Question: How do I to wire a photocell to a key less light fixture?
This electrical question came from: Jimmy, a Student from Corpus Christi, Texas, USA.
Additional Comments: This site has answered many of my questions. Thumbs up!
Thanks for your Electrical Repairs Question Jimmy.
Photocell Electrical Wiring for a Outdoor Light Fixtures
- A photocell is wired the same way as a regular switch except that most 120 volt photocells requires a neutral wire to operate.
- The key less light fixture has the same wiring requirements as a regular 120 volt light fixture which is one neutral and one hot wire or power source.
- I’m assuming that this is a classroom project because a key less light fixture is not rated for outdoor use and a photocell is usually used to control outside light fixtures which is beneficial for automatic switching for fixtures.
Install a Photo Cell to Control Outside Lights
- The recent time change can cause outside light fixtures to be off one hour. Did you know that a photo cell could fix this problem for ever? Simply install a photo cell on the control circuit before the light fixture.
- The photocell must be installed in an outdoor area to get an accurate measurement of daylight to work properly.
More about Electrical Wiring
You identified your project to be about Light Switch Wiring, so you might find this information useful:
Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
For more information about Classroom Electrical Topic
Classroom Electrical Training Topic
Classroom Electrical Topics including Electrical Codes covering home electrical wiring projects.
This link is helpful as a Student
Electrical Code Articles
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Electrical Wiring, Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electric Circuit for an Arc Welder||When a Fluorescent Light Ballast Needs to be Replaced|