How to Wire a Light Fixture Circuit
I wired some new lights and they do not work right, what did I do wrong? Simple Mistakes Made When Wiring a Light Circuit and How to Avoid and Correct Them.
Electrical Wiring for Light Fixtures
Electrical Question: I wired some new lights and they do not work right, what did I do wrong?
- I installed three florescent lights in my five bedroom work room. I used 3-wire with black-white and red. One switch is suppose to control two lights, and one the other.
- I used the black and white to feed the two outside lights. The red and white to feed the center light. When I turn on the outside light, I get a soft light from the center one.
- I turn on the center same with the outside. Do these types of lights have some sort of floating current. I’m really sorry I didn’t go with the recessed lighting.
I hope this makes sense to you.
This electrical question came from: John, from Sewell, New Jersey.
See more about Home Wiring for New Jersey
Thanks for your electrical question John.
Simple Mistakes When Wiring and How to Avoid Them
- A very common mistake that homeowners make when installing electrical wiring is that they make the wiring connections in a series instead of parallel.
- When wiring in series the electrical power is routed through each light fixture or device which then creates resistance on the circuit.
- Parallel wiring allows the full power of the circuit to be delivered to each light fixture or device.
Map out the circuit wiring and examine all the wiring connections to switches and light fixtures and rewire series wiring to be parallel connections.
Incorrect series wiring can damage devices because they are not getting full power which may overheat the device and it’s components.
More about Wiring Light Fixtures
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
How To Install Recessed Lighting
Installing recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements. Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring Connections for a Tankless Water Heater||Low Voltage Yard Lights Not Working|