» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
How to Wire a Ceiling Fan with a Wall Outlet
How to Install Ceiling Fan Wiring: Installing a Ceiling fan from Wall Outlet, I am installing a ceiling fan that is connected to a switch which also controls two wall outlets.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I am installing a ceiling fan and I have done others in the past with no trouble, but this one is connected to a switch which also controls two wall outlets.
- I have only one cable going to the switch which is black, white and ground.
- The outlets have two cables one same as switch and the other is black, white, and red.
- When I connect the fan, the lights come on dim and the fan turns when the switch is off, when I turn it on, the lights go out and the fan does not spin.
- If I plug a lamp into one of the outlets when the switch is off it lights dim and when switch is on lights up normal.
Background: Vince, a Homeowner.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Vince.
How to Install Ceiling Fan Wiring
Application: Ceiling Fan Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the switched outlet wiring and the proposed location for the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the switched outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for a ceiling fan should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing a Ceiling fan from Wall Outlet
- With the described wiring scenario, the ceiling fan cable should be installed to the wall outlet that is controlled by the wall switch.
- Extending the wiring from a switched wall outlet provides the capability for the switch to control the ceiling fan separately by itself, switched with the outlet, or to be operated only by the pull chains on the ceiling fan.
- The key to all three operating scenarios is in how the wiring connections are made with the extended cable to the wiring in the switched wall outlet box. Helpful wiring diagrams are available from the links found at the resources below.
Step-by-step pictures of a Ceiling Fan Project
Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|What to do When a Fuse or Breaker Trips Off||Electrical Wiring for a Workshop or Barn|