How To Splice Electrical Wires
Common Methods for Splicing Electrical Wiring: Electrical Junction Box or Splice Box, Location of the Splice Box, Wire Connectors for the Spliced Wires, Grounding the Splice Box.
Guidelines for Splicing Electrical Wiring
Electrical Question: I am installing wiring for a hot tub and I did not buy enough length of 8/3 AWG with ground copper wires.
- From the GFCI box to the hot tub connection is about 20 feet.
- I did not allow enough length for the connections in this box.
- I need a few more feet of wire and would like to add a junction box about a foot below the GFCI box.
- Is it possible to splice 8/3 cable with a ground wire.
- This wire is larger than 12/2 wire which I have spliced.
- The only other option is to buy a new length of wire from the GFCI box to the hot tub connection.
Any advice will be appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from: Larry, a Handyman from Gadsden, AL.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Larry.
Application: Splicing Electrical Wiring
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience and ability to work with tools and access to the wiring.
Precaution: Identify the hot tub circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done with a permit and inspected.
Special Materials: Properly sized wire connectors, anti-corrosion ointment, electrical tape, junction box and blank cover.
Common Methods for Splicing Electrical Wiring
Electrical splices are permitted as long as the materials and the method is done according to code as used in the example below.
- Electrical Junction Box or Splice Box
The wire splice must be made made in and approved electrical enclosure that is large enough for the total number and size of electrical wires.
- The Cover for the Splice Box
The enclosure must have a cover installed.The electrical splice box or enclosure must be NEMA 3R or rated for outdoor.
- Location of the Splice Box
The splice box must be located in an area that will be accessible. Splice boxes and junction boxes are not allowed to be installed in areas where they will not be accessible.
- Wire Connectors for the Spliced Wires
The wire connectors will need to be rated as water resistant and sized for two #8 AWG wires.
- Grounding the Splice Box
If the splice or junction box is metallic then it will need to be bonded to the ground wires using an approved ground lug or terminal which is fastened to the enclosure.
More about Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Code for How Many Wires in Junction Boxes
- Electrical Junction Box Splice
- Wiring Electrical Codes
- Electrical Junction Box Splice
- Electrical junction box splices can be made safely when you understand the method.
- This example will show you how its done step by step and shows how to make a junction box splice and the related electrical codes.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for.
- Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed.
- The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
More information about Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
|« Why Does My Underground Electrical Wiring Not Work?||Steps to Restoring Power to an Electrical Circuit »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Electrical Wire Splice
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.