How To Restore Lost Power In A Garage
Steve in California asks: I shorted out a receptacle in the garage and now the electricity does not work, how can I fix this? How to Fix Lost Power Problem in the Garage.
Electrical Problem in a Garage
Electrical Question: I shorted out a receptacle in the garage and now the electricity does not work, how can I fix this?
- I shorted out the door opener and the receptacles in the entire garage do not work.
- While attempting to find a part number on my garage door opener components, I mistakenly blundered and did not unplug the darn thing!
- Because of this mistake I went to check circuit breaker and it did not trip.
- I then shut down the whole panel and switched a 20 amp breaker that worked with the one I thought was bad.
- Turns out that both breakers work but none of the receptacles in the garage work.
- How can I fix this problem without calling a pro?
This electrical wiring question came from: Steve, a Homeowner from Willits, California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Steve.
How to Restore the Power to Your Garage
Application: Troubleshooting Lost Power to a Garage.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on age of the home, the condition of the electrical system and available access to electrical components.
Precaution: Electrical troubleshooting is best performed by a licensed electrical contractor who will identify the problem and make the necessary repairs.
GFI Outlets Commonly Found In Garages
- If you are experiencing lost power in a garage there may be a tripped a GFI outlet.
- GFCI devices often protect the outlet circuit that is installed into the garage, therefore if this device trips off then garage outlets will be affected.
- Locate a GFCI outlet in the garage and push the reset button.
- Alternative locations for GFCI Outlets that may supply power to the garage:
- Laundry Room
More about Garage Electrical Wiring
How to Install Garage Electrical Wiring
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuits
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For more information about Lost Power
Troubleshooting Lost Power
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting
- Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Garage Outlets and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Convert 120volt to 220volt||The Height for Installing Outlets and Switches|