» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
How To Restore Lost Power In A Garage
Steve in California asks: I shorted out a receptacle in the garage and now the electricity does not work, how can I fix this? How to Fix Lost Power Problem in the Garage.
Electrical Problem in a Garage
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I shorted out a receptacle in the garage and now the electricity does not work, how can I fix this?
- I shorted out the door opener and the receptacles in the entire garage do not work.
- While attempting to find a part number on my garage door opener components, I mistakenly blundered and did not unplug the darn thing!
- Because of this mistake I went to check circuit breaker and it did not trip.
- I then shut down the whole panel and switched a 20 amp breaker that worked with the one I thought was bad.
- Turns out that both breakers work but none of the receptacles in the garage work.
- How can I fix this problem without calling a pro?
This electrical wiring question came from: Steve, a Homeowner in California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Steve.
How to Restore the Power to Your Garage
Application: Troubleshooting Lost Power to a Garage.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on age of the home, the condition of the electrical system and available access to electrical components.
Precaution: Electrical troubleshooting is best performed by a licensed electrical contractor who will identify the problem and make the necessary repairs.
GFI Outlets Commonly Found In Garages
- If you are experiencing lost power in a garage there may be a tripped a GFI outlet.
- GFCI devices often protect the outlet circuit that is installed into the garage, therefore if this device trips off then garage outlets will be affected.
- Locate a GFCI outlet in the garage and push the reset button.
- Alternative locations for GFCI Outlets that may supply power to the garage:
- Laundry Room
More about Garage Electrical Wiring
How to Install Garage Electrical Wiring
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuits
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For more information about Lost Power
Troubleshooting Lost Power
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting
- Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Garage Outlets and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Wire a Replacement Water Heater||How to Determine if Your Panel Has The Power for One More Circuit|