How to Replace a GFI That Does Not Work
I’m replacing a GFI outlet that did not work. Now the replacement also does not work: Wiring instructions and photo that show how GFI Outlets are wired.
Replacing a GFI Outlet
Electrical Wiring Question: I’m replacing a GFI outlet that did not work. Now the replacement also does not work. One of the hot wires is not hot. What can I do?
This home electrical repairs question came from: Charles, from North Augusta, South Carolina.
Thanks for your Electrical Troubleshooting Question Charles.
How to Wire a GFI Outlet
GFI Outlet Testing and Replacement
- A GFI outlet may not be working either because the circuit is not functioning or because the GFI outlet is faulty and needs to be replaced.
- Before replacing the GFI outlet it would be good to identify the circuit and make sure it is supplying the correct power to the GFI outlet location.
- When replacing the GFI outlet make sure the wires and placement has been identified otherwise the GFI will not work properly.
Example: Here are wiring instructions and photo that show how GFI Outlets are wired:
The following resources show several examples of wiring GFI Outlets:
- How to Wire GFI Outlets
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
- The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
- Guide to Home Electrical Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
|« How to Wire a Waterfall and Switch||How to Protect Kitchen Outlets with GFCI »|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.