How to Install an Underground Electric Service
I want to run an underground electric service from a breaker box, how should I install the cable for an underground electric service? How to Install an Underground Electrical Service.
Electric Circuit Panel
Electrical Question: How should I install the cable for an underground electric service?
- I want to run an underground electric service from the outside breaker box.
- The service will be to run fans, lighting and misc. appliances as necessary.
- Do I need to put the wire inside conduit or is there a type of wire I can use for under grounding that does not require conduit?
- What size circuit breaker should be installed for this?
This electrical wiring question came from: Ed, from Hawthorne, Florida.
Thanks for your electrical question Ed.
Installing an Underground Electrical Service
Application: Installing a Main Electric Service Panel.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for the specific method of electrical service installation.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type of panel, the location, and available access to the project area.
Precaution: This is an extensive project. Working in an electric panel has possible arc flash hazards and should be performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Notice: Installing an Electrical Service Panel should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Install an Underground Electric Service
Planning to Install an Underground Electrical Service
Type UF cable, Underground Feeder, is approved for direct burial when installed according to applicable electrical codes.
- The electrical service must be sized based upon several factors, including the size of the home, the connected load for large equipment, the required circuits, and all the connected electrical devices are also factored.
- Once the size of the electrical panel has been established the type and size of the cable to feed power to the panel may be determined.
- The size of the electrical service cables will depend on the over all length to the service, the type of cable that will be installed, and if the cable will be encased inside electrical conduit or direct burial.
More about Installing Underground Electrical
- Electrical Code for Conduit Fill
- Underground Electrical Codes
- Electrical Codes for Services
- Circuit Wiring
- Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Home Electrical Junction Boxes
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for.
- The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Panel Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring a Ceiling Fan to a Switch Box||Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring|