How to Fix a Sign Light Fixture
What can be wrong with a sign light fixture? How to Fix a Fluorescent Light in a Sign Fixture.
Sign Light Fixture Problem
Electrical Question: What can be wrong with a sign light fixture?
Scott in Pennsylvania asks:
- I’m working on a sign that has five ballasts single bulbs per, and they are wired in parallel. Came to work one day and none of the bulbs were lit. I changed a bulb no good. I checked voltage on wires coming in the signage hot to ground reads 120v hot to neutral 192v neutral to ground 82v I’ve never in my years of reading voltage have I seen this any suggestions.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Scott.
Electrical Problem with a Fluorescent Light in a Sign Fixture
Application: Electrical Problem a Fluorescent Sign Light.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Fluorescent Sign Light, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Fluorescent Light should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in your specific area of Pennsylvania. A permit and inspections may also be required.
How to Fix a Fluorescent Light in a Sign Fixture
This electrical wiring project is about Electrical Problem a Fluorescent Light in the Room of a Home.
Fluorescent Sign Light Electrical Problem
- Scott, from the information you have provided, the power to the sign should be turned off and the wiring components carefully inspected by a qualified electrician.
- Identify the line side voltage of the ballast which is indicated on the ballast label.
- An electrician should check the power source at the circuit breaker with special attention given to all the wires of the sign light fixture circuit.
- Make sure the voltage is being measured correctly.
- Be aware that some sign fixtures are HO (high output) or VHO (very high output), which require specific lamps, ballasts, and sockets.
- If the ballast is faulty then a new ballast and new lamps should be installed.
- The lamp sockets should be checked as well for burn marks, and if faulty the sockets should be replaced as well.
More about Electrical Problem a Fluorescent Sign Light
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Troubleshooting Electrical Problems
Home Electrical Troubleshooting and Repairs
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Home Generator and Transfer Switch Connection||The Height for Installing Outlets and Switches|