How to a Replace a Ceiling Fan and Hook Up the Wires
Wiring a Ceiling Fan to a Wall Switch: Installing a Tandem Switch or Two Stack Switch for a Ceiling Fan and Light
Wiring Connections for a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Question: I am installing a Hampton Bay Palm Beach II model ceiling fan.
Here’s my wiring situation:
- I am installing this new ceiling fan where there was a previous fan with no light, The new fan has no light but may I may want to add one at a later date.
- There is one wall switch. I have 4 wires out of ceiling box, black, red, white, ground.
- When the wall switch is off, the black wire is hot and the red is not.
- When the switch is on, the red is hot and the black is not.
- What is the proper way to hook up all the wires? I would be so appreciative to receive an answer.
Thanks so much!
This electrical wiring question came from Lori, in Fort Myers, Florida.
Additional Comments: Great info and thanks for offering this service!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Lori.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan to a Wall Switch
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan power source or circuit at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the switches are fully compatible with the ceiling fan you have.
Installing a Tandem Switch or Two Stack Switch for a Ceiling Fan and Light
- The description of the wiring from the wall switch for this ceiling fan indicates that the wall switch that was previously wired is actually a three way switch.
- That switch worked OK as a single function switch, however if you would like to have the capability for switching both the ceiling fan and a future light then you may consider installing a tandem switch or two stack switch. A tandem switch is two switches that replace the single switch in the same size wall box.
- The tandem or stack switch (both the same just different names) is two switches in one, so you will have the separate switches that are needed for the future ceiling fan light fixture.
- If you would like to just work with what you now have and change the wall switch later then just connect the ceiling fan black wire to the ceiling red wire, and the blue wire to the ceiling black wire, then white to white, and the green and bare ground wires are connected together.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Replacing Aluminum Electrical Wiring with Copper||How to Avoid Problems When Replacing Electrical Outlets|