How Do I Troubleshoot My Clothes Dryer Circuit?
Why did my clothes dryer has stopped working? How to Check a Electric Clothes Dryer Circuit, Why a Clothes Dryer Stopped Working and What to Check.
Clothes Dryer Stopped Working
Electrical Question: Why did my clothes dryer has stopped working?
- I have an electric clothes dryer that stop working.
- I tested the 220 volt dryer outlet to see if it was getting power and its not.
- There is no electric power to the dryer.
- How do I troubleshoot the plug to find out what the problem may be.
Background: James, a Handyman from Eight Mile, Alabama.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question James.
How to Check a Electric Clothes Dryer Circuit
Application: Troubleshooting Electric Clothes Dryer Problems.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections.
Notice: Electrical troubleshooting is best performed by a qualified electrical contractor.
Why a Clothes Dryer Stopped Working and What to Check
Electric Dryer Circuit Checklist
- Go to the electric circuit breaker panel.
- Look for a tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse.
- The circuit breaker is typically a 2-pole 30 amp.
- Turn the circuit breaker all the way off, then back on.
- If the breaker was tripped the dryer may restart, however the key is to find out why the circuit tripped off and correct the problem.
- Unplug the dryer and visually inspect the unit for possible problems. For example: Look for burnt wiring or a control that is faulty or damaged.
- If a control is found to be defective, or there is a problem with internal wiring then an appliance repair man should be consulted.
More about Electric Clothes Dryers and Electric Circuit Wiring
Wiring a Dryer Cord
- See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Circuit Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
|« Electric Water Heater Wiring||Stop Smoke Detector False Alarms Once and For All »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
240 Volt Dryer Circuit
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.