Help For Your Dimmer Switch Wiring
How to Wire a Dimmer Switch: Dimmer Switch Wiring, Dimmer switch wiring diagrams, Wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Electrical Wiring for a Dimmer Switch
Wiring a Dimmer: I’ve run power using a 12/2 cable to a combination GFCI Outlet and Light Switch.
- From there I’ve run 12/3 wire over to a dimmer. From the dimmer I’ve connected 3 recessed lights.
- The GFCI reset switch pops and I can run an electric tool from the outlet but I can’t seem to figure out the combination to send the power through the switch to the dimmer and to the lights.
- The dimmer is two pole. I thought that was my first problem – trying to wire a single pole dimmer – but I can’t figure out the two pole dimmer either.
- I’m using the correct bulbs (another problem I encountered in the past).
- This is a new house so no drywall or insulation is in the way and yes, it’s mine. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Additional Comments: I like the website. I’ve used your advice many times in wiring my new home and I’ll probably be back many more!
Thank you for the great advice and information! Dave.
Background: Dave, a Homeowner from Hopkinsville, KY.
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring Question Dave, and thanks for being a regular at Ask-The-electrician, I’m glad I can help you out!
How to Wire a Dimmer Switch
Application: Replacing Dimmer Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Electricians Tool Pouch set up with Hand Tools for Rough-In Electrical Wiring
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dimmer switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement dimmer switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used. The dimmer switch must be rated for the amount of watts that will be controlled.
Wiring a Dimmer Switch
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch wiring diagrams to help you wire a single or 3-way dimmer switch.
- Don’t get confused with dimmer switch wiring. As mentioned, a double pole dimmer switch is really a 3way dimmer switch, which is wired the same as a standard 3-way toggle switch.
- If you are replacing a standard single switch that is not a 3way switch with a dimmer, then you may notice that most all dimmer switches are now pre-wired to be used as either a single dimmer switch or a 3way dimmer switch.
- When wiring the dimmer as a single switch one wire will be capped off and not used. Detailed information and wiring diagrams that will help you out and get your lights shining bright.
Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagrams
Dimmer Switch Wiring
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
How To Install Recessed Lighting
This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements. Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Dimmer Switch, Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Wire a Garbage Disposal and a Dishwasher Outlet||How to Wire GFCI Circuits and GFI Outlets|