Factors to Consider For Home Made Light Fixtures
How to Build a DIY Light Fixture: Checklist for Planning a Light Fixture, Considerations for Light Fixture Safety.© By: Dave Rongey
Guidelines for a Do It Yourself Light Fixture
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I need help creating a Do It Yourself Light Fixture.
- I’m trying to create my own light fixture with 10 bulb sockets.
- I’ve tried to wire them together one at a time but I can’t seem to get the fixture to work.
- It keeps throwing the breaker.
- Do you have any solutions for me?
Background: Richard, a Homeowner from North Las Vegas, Nevada.
Thanks for your electrical question Richard.
How to Build a DIY Light Fixture
Homemade fixture projects can be fun to build and provide a great way to express your creative and artistic abilities, however there are some safety considerations and wiring factors to ensure that your homemade light fixture is safe and dependable.
Checklist for Planning a Light Fixture
- Plan your light fixture projects carefully and pay attention to the size and watts of the light bulbs that you are planning to use and the heat which will be produced around the materials of the light fixture.
- Light sockets should be mounted securely and have plenty of space to allow for heat dissipation.
- A covering may be required for light bulbs.
- The wire gauge will need to be sized depending on the electrical load of the total number of watts being consumed.
- The polarity of the wiring to the sockets is very important attaching the hot and neutral wires accordingly.
- The parallel circuit wiring method should be used, not series wiring.
- Be sure to provide an attachment for the ground wire to the metal frame portion of the light fixture.
- Electrical wiring connections should be placed in an enclosed area of the fixture.
Considerations for Light Fixture Safety
- Keep in mind the location of the light fixture and how it will be mounted to the electrical wiring source.
- All attachments and wiring should be made securely and safely.
- A practical guide would be to compare your light fixture creation to a similar type which is currently being sold.
- Make sure your light fixture provides all the safety that a conventional fixture provides.
- Have fun and enjoy being creative!
More about Home Lighting
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Lighting, Wiring With Fixtures and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|