Extending Circuits for a Panel Relocation
How to Move Electrical Circuit Wiring When Relocating an Electrical Panel: Installing Junction Boxes and Gutters for Electrical Wire Splicing.
Relocating an Electrical Panel
Electrical Question: I am putting in a new 200 amp breaker panel and moving the location.
- Wire from twelve of the existing circuits will be too short to reach the new panel.
- Is there such a thing as a terminal block that I can use to run the twelve wires to and then add new wire for each circuit from the terminal block to the new panel?
This electrical question came from: Monte, a Handyman from Sterling, Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Monte.
Preparations for Moving Electrical Circuit Wiring
- Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
- Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for the specific service upgrade.
- Estimated Time: Depends on the type of panel and available access to the project area.
- Precaution: This is an extensive project that should be performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
- Notice: Making changes to the Electrical Service Panel should be done with a permit and be inspected.
How to Move Electrical Circuit Wiring When Relocating an Electrical Panel
- Installing Junction Boxes and Gutters for Electrical Wire Splicing
- When circuit wiring is too short or the panel is being relocated consider installing a junction box at the old panel location and make all your splices with approved wire connectors or wire nuts.
- Then install a conduit between the new junction box and the new panel location and install the additional lengths of wire as needed.
- If this is an outdoor project then the junction box enclosure should be a NEMA3R type.
- Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- How to select electrical junction boxes for wiring projects.
- Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed.
- The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
- Electrical Junction Box Splice
- Electrical junction box splices can be made safely when you understand the method.
- This example will show you how its done step by step and shows how to make a junction box splice and the related electrical codes.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Electrical Circuit Requirements for a Dream House||Splicing 220 Volt Wiring »|