Energy Savings Controls for Outdoor Lighting
How can a photocell be used to control outside lights? Control Different Types of Outdoor Security Lighting so they Come On Automatically and Save Money on Your Electric Bill.
Control Outdoor Security Lights and Save Energy
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How can a photocell be used to control outside lights?
- Can you put a photocell on a 4′ florescent tube fixture (2 tubes) outside under a covered carport?
- I put one the fixture and it burned up the ballast after two weeks. If you can do it, what do I need to do?
This electrical wiring question came from: Don, a Homeowner from San Diego, California.
See more about Home Wiring for California
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Don.
How to to Control Outdoor Security Lighting
The following explains how to control different types of outdoor security lighting so they come on automatically which may save money on an electric bill.
How to Control Outdoor Lighting
- Don, all photocells are not the same. Photocells that are designed to control one incandescent light fixture do not use a neutral, however other commercial grade photocells required a neural wire and work very well.
- When controlling light fixtures with electronic components it is best to use a photocell that requires a neutral wire.
Photocell Electrical Load Rating
- Understand that photocells are rated for the amount of load that they are able to control. One example is a photocell that will control up to 1000 watts, or if the load requires more than a 1800 watt photocell may be installed.
- Most commercial grade photocells are available for 120 volts, 277 volts etc. to make it convenient for controlling a large lighting fixture in a specific location.
Controlling Lighting in Parking Areas
- When controlling the lighting for larger areas such as parking lots or apartment parking areas then one option would be to have a photocell and relay contactor. This works very well where the photocell will accurately turn the lights on only when it actually gets dark during any time during the day, even if it becomes dark due to a storm.
- The photocell sends power to a control relay which may be configured to control one or more circuits of lighting.
- This is a very popular method of controlling lighting of large parking lots and not be concerned about resetting time clocks when the time change occurs. If you do not wish for the lights to stay on all night long then a time clock may be wired into the control circuit and provide the designated OFF time to take place.
More about Outdoor Lighting
Installing Motion Detector and Security Light Fixtures
Installing motion detector lighting fixtures provide security and energy savings and they can easily replace an existing exterior wall fixture.
Understanding Electrical Relays
The use of relays that are sometimes needed to control special device loads such as Air Conditioners and other high demand equipment from starting at the same time.
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Energy Savings, Photocell, Security Light and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install Wiring for Garage Lighting||GE Breaker Type Prevents Dryer From Working – Part 2|