ask the electrician
Electrician Training Electrical Certification wiring recessed light fixtures Electrical Wiring Electrical Troubleshooting and Electrical Repairs wire outdoor light fixture Home Electrical Wiring Diagrams
wiring home generator and transfer switch wiring a 220 volt range cord outlet Wiring for GFCI Outlets Wiring Outlets and a Switched Outlet Wiring and Installing Ceiling Fans and Remote Controls wire dimmer switch wiring diagrams for switches wiring a dryer cord and 220 outlet circuit breaker panel
Electrical Wire and Cable

Electrical Question from Ralph about Electrical Service Upgrade


Question: My wife and I bought a fixer upper mobile home that needs the electrical upgraded. We are upgrading the service to 150 amps.

© By:

Electrical Question from Ralph about Electrical Service Upgrade

Received from Ralph a Contractor in Queensbury, NY

[ad#block]Question: My wife and I bought a fixer upper mobile home that needs the electrical upgraded. We are upgrading the service to 150 amps. The line that comes into the mobile home has 4 wires, I am assuming three are hot and 1 is a ground. Question is, do I have to replace the service entry wire so that it is a 3 wire entry because the 150 amp box only has three spaces for wires to the main breaker which I assume is two hot and a ground?

Dave’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical question.
Please do not assume ANYTHING! Especially with Mobile or Modular Homes.
These types of homes require a totally isolated Ground and Neutral wire from the electrical service point of entry and then throughout the electrical wiring system.
This system is 2-Hots, 1-Neutral and 1-Ground.  The Neutral and Ground wires may NOT be bonded for the circuits in the home, only at the main electrical service panel.
When upgrading to a larger electrical service this will require new service wires that are sized to the capacity of the new electrical service.
Please consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor to do this for you. This will require a permit and inspection.  You can find qualified electricians by using the link below.

The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:

For more information about Wiring Diagram
Wiring Diagrams

This link is helpful as a Contractor
Electrical Code Articles

Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos
Electrical Videos

Be Careful and Be Safe – Never Work on Energized Circuits!

For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area

The following may also be helpful for you:

Electrical Wiring Video

Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More

Check out my YouTube Channel, and Subscribe!

Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:

Basic Home Electrical Wiring by Example

Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.

More articles about Electrical, panel and Home Electrical Wiring:

« Previous Next »

Electrical Question from LaPorte, IN about a Outdoor Light Fixture Problem

Electrical Question from Josh about Buffers That Trip Circuit Breakers

Comments about this Electrical Project

2 Responses to “Electrical Question from Ralph about Electrical Service Upgrade”
  1. Dave Rongey says:

    Hi Judy
    I may have already addressed this topic, however the extent of an electrical upgrade will depend on several factors specific to the home dwelling, the age of the condition of electrical wiring, electrical code violations, and any plans for additional electrical equipment or circuits. The details of your specific grant should be available to you through the department who issued the grant to you. Considerations may include safety devices such as smoke detectors and GFCI devices as well as an inspection of the existing electrical service.

  2. Judy says:

    I have a homeowner’s grant and one part is for an electrical upgrade…I live in a mobile home…what exactly does that entail? Here’s the job detailed by the funders – Supply and install materials to upgrade the interior and exterior electrical system, to meet minimum standards and unit demands. All remedial work affected by the electrical work shall be the contractor’s responsibility. Permit and Inspection to be obtained as per local codes. All repairs to be undertaken by a qualified electrical contractor.

    So far the contractor’s workers have only replaced the outlets and the switches (missed a few though)…the job is costing me $4640