Electrical Question about Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Light Fixtures
How to Fix a Dusk to Dawn Lighting Problem with a CFL Lamp: The Most Common Problems with a CFL Dusk to Dawn Fluorescent Light and How to Fix Them.
Guide to Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Light Fixture Problems and How to Fix Them
Electrical Question: I have an outside light fixture that has an insert to make it operate for the dusk to dawn feature.
- Can I use the energy saver spiral bulbs in them and have the dusk to dawn feature work?
- I was told the bulbs had to be the dimable ones in order for that to work. Is that true?
- I tried a bulb that was not dimable and all the light did was flicker all night.
Received from Pat a Homeowner in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Pat.
How to Fix a Dusk to Dawn Lighting Problem with a CFL Lamp
Application: Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Light Fixture Repair.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician..
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring or installing an insert.
The Most Common Problems with a CFL Dusk to Dawn Fluorescent Light and How to Fix Them
- The Dust to Dawn Light Feature
- Dusk to dawn lights typically create two levels of light, a dim or low level of light when no motion is detected and the full amount of light when motion is detected.
- Incompatible Lamp Type
- Some energy saver spiral bulbs,also known as CFL lamps, are not designed to dim, and this is the condition of the first low level of light.
- Some CFL type lamps do not operate well outdoor, especially in colder temperatures which can cause flickering, and flickering can shorten the life of a CFL light bulb.
- Standard or non-compatible CFL lamps should be replaced with lamps that are compatible with the dimmer feature.
- Incompatible Dusk to dawn Insert
- Be sure that the insert or adapter is compatible with the light fixture.
- The insert should have an unobstructed area that will allow the built in photo cell and motion sensor to operate properly.
- For best performance a new dusk to dawn outdoor light fixture could be installed using compatible lamps.
More about Wiring Outdoor Lighting Fixtures
Light Up Your Home for Beauty Safety and Security: This is a Comprehensive Guide to Outdoor Lighting. Answers your questions about different types of outdoor lights such as Motion Detectors, Wall Mounted Lights and Low-Voltage Landscape Lighting.
Wiring a Motion Light and Security Camera
Electrician Explains How to Wire a Motion Light with a Security Camera.
How to Install Motion Detectors for Outdoor Lighting, Driveway Lighting and Security Lighting.
Outdoor Motion Fixtures
How to Install Outdoor Motion Fixtures and security Light Fixtures.
|« How to Troubleshoot a Dryer Circuit and Outlet Problem||Causes of Electric Circuit Buzz or Crackle »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.