Electrical Question from Curt about Ceiling Fan Switch Wiring
How to Wire a Ceiling Fan Switch and Outlet: To wire an outlet from the power which is supplied to a ceiling fan the incoming power source to the switch box must be identified and verified that there is a neutral available as well as the hot and the ground.
Ceiling Fan Switch Wiring
Electrical Question: I have a 15 amp switch for the ceiling fan with 4 wires going to it.
- A red wire which is for the switch, black wire for power, white wire for the neutral, and a copper wire for ground.
- How would I bridge a outlet off of that which would stay on all the time and still be able to utilize the switch for the ceiling fan?
- I bought an outlet and Romex with 3 wires, black wire, white wire, ground wire and everything else I will need. Also, how do I know on the switch which wire goes where?
- It’s old, not labeled, and the person that took it off (me) did it in a hurry so I didn’t keep track.
Received from Curt a Homeowner in Wisconsin.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Curt.
How to Wire a Ceiling Fan Switch and Outlet
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan and outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet electrical wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan and Switch from an Outlet
- To wire an outlet from the power which is supplied to a ceiling fan the incoming power source to the switch box must be identified and verified that there is a neutral available as well as the hot and the ground.
- Once this is verified then the power source could be extended from that point to the desired location for the outlet.
- Identifying the wiring to understand all of the wires requires a voltage tester.
- Examining some of the wiring diagrams found on the Ceiling Fan area of this website may be very helpful to understand how switches are wire.
More about wiring a Ceiling Fan Switch and Outlet
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
|« How to Fix Car Wiring Problems||How To Heat A Cold Garage »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area