Electrical Question about a Power Supply Size
We’re not talking about a lot of amps, and since it won’t be plugged in all the time, is that safe?
Electrical Question from Jon about a Power Supply Electrical Safety
Background: Jon, a Homeowner from I live in Everett in the state of Washington
[ad#block]Question: I have an AC adapter that says 5v @ 700mA.
Would it be safe to use it to charge a device that says 5.1v @ 750mA?
I know that the device would draw 750mA of electricity, and that’s over the 700mA of the adapter, but since 700 and 750 is close, and we’re not talking about a lot of amps, and since it won’t be plugged in all the time, is that safe?
Additional Comments: It’s a great site. Thank you so much for having a site and service like this.
Thanks for your electrical question Jon. I understand what your saying, but even if your 50mA over that will be enough to cause the power supply to over heat and the device to pull down the voltage because the initial power that it needs is not available which may lead to either unit burning out or blowing an internal component.
The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:
For more information about Electrical Safety
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: Electrical Safety
Home Electrical Safety
Be Careful and Be Safe – Never Work on Energized Circuits!
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about low voltage, Power Supply and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Question about the PE or Protective Earth Connection||Electrical Question about Wiring an Outdoor Pole Light Fixture|