Electric Generator Capacities and Limitations
Understanding Generator KW Output Capacity to Properly Power Your Home – It would be best to check the specifications and the KW capacity of the generator to really know for sure. The total connected load that will be placed on a generator should be known before selecting a generator.
Electrical Output Capacity for Home Generators
Home Generator Question: Could you change a 30 amp outlet to be a 50 amp on a diesel generator? We would like to get more capacity out of the generator and think this will be the solution, is this the right solution?
This is for my husband George.
Thanks for your Home Generator Question Jean.
Background: Jean, a Homeowner from Grass Valley, CA
Changing out a 30 amp 250 volt receptacle and replacing it with a 50 amp 250 volt receptacle should not be done because it will not increase to output of the generator.
Understanding Generator KW Output Capacity to Properly Power Your Home
- Because the generator came with a 30 amp outlet it most likely is limited to 30 amp output otherwise there would be a 50 amp outlet already installed.
- Changing to a larger outlet would not enlarge the capacity of the generator KW output.
- It would be best to check the specifications and the KW capacity of the generator to really know for sure.
- The total connected load that will be placed on a generator should be known before selecting a generator.
- Special equipment loads must also be identified to make sure the generator capacity will support them.
- Motor loads such as well pumps must be factored in when selecting the home generator.
I have provided the following resources that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your electrical question:
More information about Home Generators
All About Home Generators
This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Generator and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why A Garage Receptacle May Not Be Working||The Importance of Electrical Cover Plates|