Converting Light Fixture Voltage
Changing Light Fixture Voltage: 120 to 220 Volt Light Fixture Conversion, I moved to another country from the US and brought three 120 volt lamps that I would like to use here.
120 to 220 Volt Light Fixture Conversion
Electrical Question: I moved to another country from the USA and brought three 120 volt lamps that I would like to use here.
- Two of them have dimmers.
- Do I need to re-wire the lamps, or can I simply use a 220V bulb and an adapter to plug them in?
- I’ve heard conflicting advice and want to make sure that whichever solution I implement is safe.
This electrical question came from: Mona, a Homeowner from Lincoln, Nebraska.
See more about Home Wiring for Nebraska
Dave the Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical question Mona.
Changing Light Fixture Voltage
Application: Lighting Fixture Wiring and Modifications.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture wiring.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Changing or modifying the original fixture design may void the UL approval and affect the warranty of the light fixture. Changes in light bulb type must not produce more heat which could damage light fixture components or the area of the light fixture installation.
Light Fixture Voltages
- Mona, because of my experience with voltage adapters in other countries I would remove the 120 volt dimmer switch and bypass the wiring.
- The 220 volt bulbs should be fine as long as the bulb watt rating is within the limitation stated on the light socket.
- The only way I would trust the dimmer switch to work is if it states on the dimmer that it is dual voltage, but I do not think you will see this.
More about Wiring Light Fixtures
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about 220 Volt Country, 220 Volt Wiring, Fixture Questions and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why Bathroom Outlets Stop Working||Understanding Circuit Breaker Ratings and Electrical Loads|