Common Problems With Light Switch Wiring
How to Connect Light Switch Wiring: Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches.
Understanding Light Switch Wiring
Electrical Question: I have two porch lights that I want switched together on one switch.
- I have provided power to one light but inadvertently provided the switch wire to the other light.
- There is one 12/2 wire running between them.
- Any way to make that work?
- Wire them in series maybe?
This electrical wiring question came from: Rick, a Handyman from Orlando, Florida
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Rick.
How to Connect Light Switch Wiring
- Connecting any house power in series is not recommended, besides, the amount of power that will be produced will be limited by the size of the light bulbs in the fixtures, and if these are fluorescent fixtures you will most likely damage the light fixture power supplies.
- An additional cable is required between the two light fixtures for this to work properly.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
The Following will assist you with Light Switch Wiring
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Understanding the Ground and Neutral of Electrical Wiring||Dining Room Light to a Ceiling Fan »|