Electrical Wiring for Light Fixtures
I took power from an outlet using a 14-2 wire to a single pole switch, capped the whites, from the switch I ran 14-2 to a flood light, but it does not work. How to Install Wiring for Light Fixtures: Methods for Wiring Light Fixtures.
Wiring Light Fixtures
Electrical Question: I took power from an outlet using a 14-2 wire to a single pole switch, capped the whites, from the switch I ran 14-2 to a flood light, but it does not work.
- I have power to the light socket.
- Do I need to wire the whites differently?
- I thought the problem was the fixture, it wasn’t.
- I bought another and the same problem.
Hope you can help.
This electrical wiring question came from: Joe in Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Joe.
How to Install Wiring for Light Fixtures
Application: Install Wiring for Light Fixtures.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of lamps that have been installed.
Methods for Wiring Light Fixtures
- Safety First: Never work on an energized circuit.
- Cable and Wire Size: Match the wire size so that it will be that same as the power source that you are using.
- Circuit Power Source: Make sure the power source circuit has the capacity for the additional light fixtures you wish to add.
- Keep the Wiring Safe: Install all wiring according to code, and protect the wiring to prevent damage from screws or nails.
- Junction Boxes and Switch Boxes: Install junction, switch and fixture boxes securely, meeting all requirements for your project devices. Select junction boxes that have enough cubic inches of space for the wires and the switch as necessary.
- Wiring the Switch: Switch the power wires only, do not switch neutral wires.
- Splicing the Neutral Wire: Splice the neutral wires through at the switch box.
- Connecting the Ground Wires: Splice all ground wires through at all junction boxes and to the switch frames and light fixtures.
- Protect the Wiring with Cover Plates: Install covers over all junction boxes, never leave a junction box uncovered.
- Electrical Codes and Inspections: Perform all work through a permit and inspection of the local building department as allowed.
More about Electrical Wiring for Light Fixtures
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Electrical Junction Boxes
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Home Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Lighting, Wiring Diagram and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing a Switch Shorts a Wire and Trips Off The House||How to Wire Light Switches From an Outlet|