Ceiling Fan Wiring With Other Switches
How can I make the wiring connections for my ceiling fan where there are other light switches? Make Ceiling Fan Wiring Connections and Existing Light Switches and multiple lights on the same circuit.
Ceiling Fan Wiring Connections and Existing Light Switches
Electrical Question: How can I make the wiring connections for my ceiling fan where there are other light switches?
- I have installed a ceiling fan in the past, but I’m stuck on this one.
- There are three lights running on the circuit, inside the box there are three black wires connected together, then there are two white wires connected, and one single white wire, there was a light hooked up and the white wires were used and the black were left connected.
- When I installed the ceiling fan, the light came on and no power to the motor.
- I put the black and the blue together on the ceiling fan and the white by itself. Anyway the light works and the ceiling fan does not spin.
- I did take out all of the clips on the ceiling fan motor and spun it by hand to make sure it worked.
Background: Adam, a Homeowner from Cadott, Wisconsin.
Additional Comments: Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Adam.
How to Make Ceiling Fan Wiring Connections and Existing Light Switches
- It is important to identify the circuit power and neutral wires in the switch box.
- Note that the white wires are often used as a switch loop for an existing light fixture, therefore should not be used as a neutral wire.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures with Easy to follow wiring diagrams and installation guide shows Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
|« How to Splice Electric Dryer Circuit Wires||GFCI Receptacle for Hydro Massage Jetted Tub »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.